Summary of Skills
- Proficient in Python, Matlab, MySQL, LaTeX
- Experienced in Django Framework for full-stack web development (http://questionsbank.net/)
- Skilled in PyQT5 Framework for Windows apps development (https://physlab.org/physplot/)
- Proficient in web automation and data scraping using Selenium (https://youtu.be/unrP3Ax8vvk)
- Capable in data mining and analysis
- Familiar with AWS Web Services
- Effective teaching and instructional (https://shiraz-ahmad.com/teachings/)
- Proficient in troubleshooting scientific instruments
- Technical and scientific writing skills for literature preparation
- Experienced in refurbishing and maintaining physics lab experiments
- Proficient in designing Scrum framework using Jira
- Familiarity with task management tools such as Notion and Obsidian
- Proficient in handling class issues
I am currently a Ph.D. Physics student at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), starting from August 2022.
Prior to joining UAB, I worked as a full-time web developer at Clipsource using Symfony5. At Clipsource, I participated with the development team in fixing bugs and enhancing features on their web services. We utilized the scrum framework for our project management.
Before that, I worked on an instructional design project at IQera, which aimed to digitalize A/O level lessons. My colleagues and I designed physics lessons that scaffold the topics and included ‘Formative’ and ‘Summative’ assessments, leading to ‘Mastery’ of the subject.
I also worked as an Instructor at the National University of Computer & Emerging Sciences (FAST) and a Teaching Assistant & Research Physicist at the Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS). You can see the courses I taught on my website.
In terms of my interests, I have a broader passion for experimentation and programming. For approximately three years, I worked as a research physicist at Qosain Scientific, a startup that develops instruments for teaching and research, mostly in the field of physics and nanotechnology. At Qosain Scientific, I:
- Troubleshot the Lock-In Amplifier prototype.
- Troubleshot the SQUID (superconducting quantum interference device) and supervised a student to perform a series of experiments on it (link).
- Developed algorithms for instruments like FMR/NMR spectrometers and software-defined radio (SDR).
- Developed an algorithm to simulate the optical properties of multilayer films and verified the results with experiments (link).
- Conducted data analysis of raw data generated from various instruments.
- Prepared several technical literatures for Qosain Scientific.
- Developed two programs, PhysPlot – a curve fitting tool for their research group (link), and Air Track – a data analysis tool (link).
- Refurbished physics graduate lab experiments.
I also built a problem set generation system (personal initiative) aimed at helping instructors to generate problem sets, a LaTeX compiled pdf file, in no time (link). In my spare time, I learn new things in Python on Coursera. As part of my skill set, I have learned Windows/web app development, data mining, data analysis, and web automation.
I obtained my Masters’s in Physics in 2019 from Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) and my BS in Physics in 2017 from Bahauddin Zakariya University.
Feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.